Satellite
  • Day 569

    Methana Epidauras and Nafplio

    November 5, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    Hello again, well we are still enjoying the calm weather and during the day the heat, it’s still bathers temperature as long as the sun is out. After Aegina we headed first to Methana town on the east coast of the Methana Peninsula. It is famous, or was, for its spa baths, they are now closed but the sulphur naturally flows into the old harbour making the water opaque and of course being fairly offensive nasally. We moored off the new yacht arm as we weren’t sure what that concentration ofsulphur could do to the boat but we did have a swim, sadly only a quick one as it wasn’t warm. Later that day a German local came to ask us for books, he can read and speak English fluently, and told us about a small hot pool on the other headland near the church. We visited there the next morning and it was a lovely temperature and not as smelly.
    From here we headed around the peninsula to the east coast a found a secluded anchorage just south of Vathi for two nights. We did some scavenging on the shore and John scoped out a suitable olive tree branch, long story, but the following morning he headed ashore with a saw and came back later with a piece of tree trunk 1metre by 35cm which we then had to ‘hide’ on the boat. While he was doing this I was cleaning the exterior of the boat.
    Then we travelled to Palacio Epidaurus, the quay was ‘closed’ this just meant there was no charge, we could still use it. We hired a car here to visit the Ancient Theatre, only about 30 mins away but all seriously uphill, that seats between 14-17;000 people depending on which web sites you read, the setting was very picturesque and tranquil and the site was historically for health and healing, we then headed to Nafplio where we went to the fort above the town to Palamidi, it’s relatively new having been built in the 1600’s and was fairly intact so we were able to relate to this being fortification, than temple types.
    Read more