Satellite
  • Day 612

    Settling in at Lefkas

    December 18, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    We have now been here over a week already, time is flying by. We have done some work on the boat, sanding and varnishing for me, sanding and priming for John, but the weather hasn’t been great with lots of rain and at night thunder storms, last nights was really loud. The rest of this week is supposed to be fine so I am hoping to pressure clean the decks, we want to do this before our neighbour comes back to his new boat (he bought it end of last year brand new) after Christmas, he is a bit precious and we are sure he would object strongly to the mess. If we do it soon there is bound to be rain before 5 Jan when he returns, to wash it all away. We also want to do some grinding but not sure we will get this done before neighbours return so might need to construct a sheet tent around john so no mess can jump.
    We took part in the quiz last Wednesday for the first time and came second to last, we started well but gradually drifted backwards, only saving grace was the last place team had 6 members whereas it was only John and I on our team. Also attended Happy Hour on Thursday and met more Marina residents including Ray, an ex truck engineer with lots of Volvo experience so John spoke to him for ages and got some good advice. On Saturday we went on a free bus trip to the local Ikea where there is also an H&M, Intersport and Jumbo (a huge shop that seems to sell a bit of everything). We had fun and as it pretty much rained all day it was a good way to use the time.
    Friday night is Christmas party night, Friday morning is carol singing, Sunday morning is Secret Santa so we are keeping ourselves busy.
    Oh yes more on the weather last Tuesday when we woke there was ice, yes ice on the deck of the boat and this isn’t the coldest month. We are now looking at ways of adding further insulation mainly for the windows in the salon.
    I am attending the gym regularly and doing Greek Pilates classes, I have been able to help a couple of English speaking people with some ‘at home’ exercises and John and I have done a couple of runs as well.
    Oh yes on a non Christmas note not sure I said but on our trip up the canal to the marina we saw, flamingos, pelicans, herons, greater egrets, egrets, plovers, gulls and an odd sort of black duck that wasn’t in our book 📖.
    Off to the timber yard tomorrow to see what they have, ideally we would like some teak faced ply, but it is likely that this is an ask to far, but who knows, we will also go to Lidl as almost next door to buy our Boxing Day meal ingredients, not sure what we will have, depends what they have in stock.
    All the best everyone.
    Read more