Satellite
  • Day 46

    Next stop Mourtos Islands

    May 9, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    While near Igoumenitsa we took the bikes ashore, dodging the cow pats, cows and dogs, and rode into town. It was nice enough but not sure where real people shop, there were loads of tavernas and cafes which I suppose makes sense as Igoumenitsa is the second largest passenger ferry port in Greece. The cafes all seemed to be really busy even though it was 10:30 on a Monday morning. I know in the UK it was May Day bank holiday but over here they celebrate May Day on the 1st of May and that was when the shops were all shut etc.
    Well Wednesday as forecast was beautiful, we decided to return south, only about 10 miles, to the Mourtos Islands near Sivota on the mainland. We are anchored up on our own on the west side of Bella Vraka beach, it wouldn’t be possible in full season as this is a Neilson resort with dinghies, kayaks, SUPs, wind surfers etc but it’s not open yet. The beach is only about a 5min walk from town but is so much more sheltered than the harbour. While here John finished off a small teak repair so now we have a piece of s/v Ocean Wolf on our deck, John used a piece of the old passerelle that he removed when he built the new one.
    Today we took the kayaks around the islands and saw bright red starfish, a natural chimney and an arch we could kayak through, and I didn’t bring the iPad as thought there would be nothing to see.
    Off to town later to jointly celebrate Liberation Day and 2 years of travelling and living aboard Take Five.
    Read more