Satellite
  • Day 234

    Le Lavandou and headland

    November 13, 2019 in France ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Next stop Le Lavandou, don’t get excited we didn’t see any lavender fields. It was blowing a hoodie when we arrived it took two goes to get alongside on the Accueill pontoon so when they said we could stay there for the three nights we were happy. That night was very rolly and creaky John estimates winds reached at least 40 knots with gusts towards 50 we were listing badly and there was only a fetch of 5m. Next day started rough but after we had replaced the broken cable ties holding the skirts on in the howling gale it eased right off so we decided on a cycle and headed on a velo route towards Toulon. We didn’t get all the way there we turned off towards Hyeres after 90mins and had ... yes you guessed another hot chocolate, we’ve given up on French coffee it’s just too bitter. We then returned to Londes which we had cycled through for a Formule Midi (pork steak mash and salad) before returning to the coast and heading to Cabasson, past a number of vignoires (wineries) the Château’s and grounds were spectacular, to try to go to a fort we had seen offshore. It wasn’t to be the fort and island were private. We then, rather then retracing our steps decided to take a very steep uphill hike to a firefighters memorial followed by a treacherous scramble down with bikes to a proper road and a leisurely ride along the promenade back to the marina. The views were worth the walk up!
    Yesterday was a right off more wind and lots and lots of heavy rain. We now know that the foam stuff we bought to go in the port hole surrounds is rubbish. We thought it might be when I was fitting it as it hadn’t been precision cut so was too wide in some places so I had to jam it in and too narrow in others so it didn’t reach the sides.
    Read more