Satellite
  • Day 350

    And we are off...

    March 8, 2020 in France ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    Sunday 8th March and we have left Port Saint Louis. The sea is surprisingly calm considering the wind we have had for the last week so we decide to move west towards the Rhône a Sète canal and go to Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer. The colour change of the water as we entered the Rhone run off was incredible so we took some photos. The entire journey took 5 1/2 hours, we travelled just over 30 nM. We knew we didn’t need to radio the Capitainerie on arrival as it wasn’t open on a Sunday but we found the ‘Accueil’/Welcome pontoon and tied ourselves up. After a late lunch we took a wander around, the town is rally quite cute and therefore very touristy with lots of shops selling regional products and cafes and even an ice-cream shop!
    There are a lot of Cabanes that are regional houses thatched that traditionally have a cross on the end of the roof. The town is famous for its church which is the only high rise in the town and the old Hotel de Ville. But the main reason for fame are the various bull related events, there are regular bull fights, chasing bulls along roads, and in the surrounding marshes/beaches. There are flamenco shows and tapas to finish off the slightly Spanish feel.
    Read more