Satellite
  • Day 485

    Long day in the saddle

    July 21, 2020 in France ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We decided to ride to Lac de Der from Saint Dizier for a change of pace and scenery. We set off earlyish as we had been advised that the first part of the cycle lane was along side a feeder canal with no shade. Once we arrived at the lake edge and were following the path around there was intermittent shade from trees and it was very peaceful. The lake is 48km2 so only a little smaller than Guernsey and holds 350million m3 of water, it was built in 1974 and three villages were drowned. The lake is used for all sorts of water sports in separately designated zones and has marinas and sailing schools. From the lake, after coffee, we rode out to Montier de Der to see the famous old.... you guessed it church. It was different to the usual and impressive in its way. Then back to the lake for a lazy lunch before returning to the boat via a man made beach for a quick dip. Not as refreshing as we’d hoped John was able to walk in without any odd facial expressions. On the way back we returned to the tourist information to collect more free tokens for the electricity meter. The journey was 74km long.
    Next day we rested our legs once more and headed to a Halte Nautique called Ecriennes. Shaded and beautiful only us there so I was able to exercise without an audience always a bonus. From there to Vitry Le Francois and the end of the Canal entre Champagne et Bourgogne and only just in time from the 28 July the Marne end of the canal is closed to traffic until there is more water!
    Vitry was an odd town there was little history as 90% of the town was destroyed in WWII but still an impressive cathedral and town hall as well as a couple of the old city gates. We did shopping and washing and used marina showers which was a pleasant change.
    Read more