Satellite
  • Day 12

    My name is Paul...and I'm a knitter !!

    May 19, 2017 in Iceland ⋅ ☀️ 6 °C

    Today we finally departed our home for these past 3 days ..."the farm".Turned out to be a great base for day jaunts and just relaxing at night. The staff were terrific and helpful in guiding us to some sites we may have otherwise missed. In addition....the owner enlightened me about how Icelanders shop.....on-line from China thru Alibaba OR flying to Edmonton with empty suitcases !! I have told you it is pricey here....even for the locals.

    Last night was busy there as 12 ladies were at dinner as part of a tour. During breaks between courses, they introduced themselves to the group and shared their stories as to who initially got them interested in their hobby. They were close by so it was impossible not to hear them. Initially I thought I was at an AA meeting. Turns out ......they all love to knit. Canada,US,Britain and France were accounted for. An annual junket....destination changes. What better place to hold a knitting meeting than Iceland? I did notice that the farm's sheep looked a little nervous this morning !!

    This morning when I returned the room key, all 12 were in a side room of the restaurant.....knitting.

    Farewell to "the farm"....we're headed down the road.....about 10 km to climb a crater before I've had morning coffee. We park,hop out and I ask a fella who just descended the crater if I need gloves ! "It's a bit windy up there but not cold." CRAP?...I need windy like Trump needs more controversy. We set off up the stairs and occasionally I have to stop and catch my breath. Catherine keeps on going like the proverbial Energizer bunny. She is the true trooper in this relationship. She trucks all the way to the top. Me? Nope.....stop 3/4 of the way.....no hand rails....too much wind....ain't happening !! Catherine gets some good pics and eventually returns. We descend and put a check mark beside yet another site. Not in our top 10 though.

    Next up is a photo op that we have been trying to get for 3 days. It's a cute pic but there is no where to pull off easily. We pass the site and it takes me 5 minutes to find a suitable place to turn around. We manage to find a roadway near the site and voila, Catherine gets some pics ....small,painted houses in a hill of lava,grass or straw....not really sure. Oh well, mission accomplished.

    Next stop...Borganes. I know...we've been there, done that. But today the local market is open so we have to pop in. Nothin' to see her so let's go next door to that great coffee house overlooking the bay/fjord/ocean (pick one). Eventually we leave and head for Reykjavik. Crossing the bridge out of Borganes, we get a new view of the town so stop to get some more pics. OK.....off to the big city.

    The drive is more memorable than we expected including the 6 km tunnel that costs 1000 kronor. We have an apartment booked and a Garmin loaded with an address. I get more roundabout practice enroute which will do me in good stead in St Thomas someday. We are in the burbs of Reykjavik...about 15 minutes from the city centre. The building is owned by a corporation....relatively new....we score a studio. BONUS is across the street so we grab a few staples and actually cook dinner.

    Tomorrow...downtown Reykjavik for the day plus we are attending that Icelandic Saga play !! Should be fun trying to keep all of that straight.

    You will notice one pic of our car dash.....it was 15C today(best day yet) BUT Cath had the heat up on her side of the car!!!
    Read more