Satellite
  • Day 14

    All cleaned up.....

    May 21, 2017 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    It is Sunday in Reykjavik and what better way to spend one's vacation than doing laundry? We scoot into the city to the ONLY place that offers public Laundry service...The Laundry Cafe. Less than two hours later--mission accomplished...off to the bakery for warm cinnamon buns as our reward.

    We stroll around the old town area, harbour and bay. The city appears to be undergoing a transformation from old to new. Sleek high rise buildings(likely condos) dot the landscape along the bay and construction cranes are in abundance. Reykjavik is pretty enough but seems too sterile for our liking. It is hard to believe that we are still in Iceland when comparing the city to what we have seen prior to arriving here on Friday. I guess we miss the countryside charms of glaciers, waterfalls ("foss") and perilous roads!!

    I will say this....Reykjavik sure is clean.

    Our suburb is also under the development knife. New buildings all over the place and more on the way. You would think with all this development and tourism boom, someone would think to build a laundromat? We are across the street from a restaurant supply biz that also sells high end appliances. We asked if they could hook up a washer/dryer for us to use after hours? After all, what better way to sell your product than by having people try them out? It was worth a shot!

    One final bit of trivial knowledge for today. We discovered why the Icelandic hot dog is so popular/famous. They are made with lamb. They aren't baaaaaad.

    Tomorrow....The Golden Circle. Can't wait.

    The pics.....The Harpa concert hall, line ups for hot dogs, Viking ship art at the bay, walking trail along bay, more painted walls
    Read more