Satellite
  • Day 1

    Funkin' Awesome

    May 25, 2017 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    On the PGA Tour, Saturday is referred to as "moving day". Our's was today. We relocated from Iceland to Oslo.....as seamlessly as is possible in this day and age of hyper security.

    Our day started with a notification from Icelandair that our flight would be delayed by at least an hour. THAT was to be the worst thing that happened to us all day. We had checked-in the previous night...showed up early....self-checked our luggage by printing and attaching our own tags....self-scanned those same bags and placed them on the belt. Our luggage shuttled along the belt and whispered to us, "see you in Oslo." We killed some time in the beautiful Keflavik Airport and then off we went. Forgot to mention.....I got randomly selected to be "swabbed" and we are not talking pirates swabbin' the deck. Fill in the details with your own imagination.....suffice to say---I passed the test.

    Great landing in Oslo was preceded by gorgeous scenery during descent. I snapped pix on my phone so you'll just have to trust me about the scenery!

    Grab the bags....need to head for Customs. Wait. What? There's no Customs if you have nothing to declare? Right this way folks...no need to ask you any skill testing questions. No stamping your passport to prove you've been here either. Have a nice day. We trust ya won't do anything too stupid during your stay. Are we back in the 60's? Are we still in Hofsos,Iceland at that crappy Guesthouse that was right out of Twin Peaks?

    OK then....be that way.

    Let's grab a train to downtown. Two tickets thru a kiosk and we are good to go. We scoot at warp factor 8 and arrive downtown easily and efficiently. We disembark into this world of retail, food and service shops. It is rather glamourous and very busy. We are not in Kansas Toto. We ask at the Info Centre as to where our hotel is and then proceed to sheepishly walk the 50 yards to it !!! You know that old saying? Location.Location.Location. We are all over it.

    Several hours pass and then it is time to end our day by kicking it up a notch. On a fluke I discovered that Bruno Mars' 24 Carat World Tour was dropping into Oslo TONIGHT. Luckily I was able to purchase tickets several weeks ago. We missed his pre-sale for Toronto and Detroit so this ought to be a good substitute location. Getting there and back is yet another great story about efficiency....tell ya later when we are home.

    Bruno absolutely kills it.....we are back to our hotel in no time.....and here I sit, typing. It is cool this evening following a day of 20+C in Oslo....a damp 10C in Iceland when we left. Tomorrow, a national holiday---stores will be closed, is to be in the low 20C range. The town our Sunday cruise departs from is hovering around 0C !!

    We haven't been here long but can register a "we love Oslo" vote already. We will trek high and low tomorrow given nothing is open. We should see some wonderful architecture and perhaps some of the 1000's of boats we passed coming back from the concert. We will also see sneakers...predominantly white ones. Seems that regardless of what you wear here, you have to wear sneakers. We will snap some pics to prove it to you.

    Pics....on the train, views from our hotel...notice that in a short time the cruise ships have changed
    Read more