Satellite
  • Day 10

    Marrakech - Casablanca-Oulidia

    February 16, 2020 in Morocco ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    We leave Marrakech at 10 Saturday with driver Mohamed in a comfortable black Skoda of the Renault family....about 2.5 hrs later we are deli eres to the Odyssee hotel.
    A stop at CTM - hoping to buy tickets for our round trip Casablanca-oulidia-el jadida- Casablanca...first step ok 85mad .(12$??) But bus from Oulidia is full. We do a walk around the block stop at a pastry shop..and for coffee..deb has changed from cawa Mareesa to Americano with à small jug of milk "on the side " which usually comes v.hot....
    Sunday morning after breakfast we walk 10min down the street to CTM station. We are a small group waiting to board..i sit separate ..another window seat as the bus is not full.
    We take the Auto route about 2hrs later arrive in Oulidia..the countryside is quite green and it seems some crops are sprouting.
    Searching for a taxi ..someones friend in a broken down black car -- police style no door handles on inside takes us down the hill to Oulidia.

    Sunday/Monday/Tuesday we are enjoying tiny Oulidia..it hasn't changed much down on the beach side. We tour l'Initial where I fell into the restaurant many years ago learning the Arabic for ice - "telsh" as staff ran for ice to relieve my hurt knee!!..lunch at Arraigne of the sea-a very unusual fish tagine--tasty and return to l'Hippicampe for coffee..they have a glass covered outdoor room which is lovely on a cool very windy day like today.
    We are 2 of about 6 guests - they leave the next day sooooo!...it is cool enough for a fire which is bright/crackly!
    Next day we tackle the hill to the main street..many more shops than I remember..check with CTM bus remains full lvg Oulidia...we head to Crystal Palace and share cheeseburger/fries..quite good @ 45mad (6.50)...after several attempts ..my usual approach of asking young people 16/17 as they likely have some English doesn't work here in fact no French either!! Never mind we're determined and find the local bakery 1cookie, 2 macaroons, 1 Palmier and 12 mad we have our afternoon treat.

    ..with no room on the bus we decide to take a "big taxi" to El Jadida...lvg with "Hassan"..we stop once to deliver oysters, once for Hassan to say 'I'll return and take you to Oulidia" and finally a 3sec stop into a hanoot for cigars then to our hotel Ibis on the beach promenade.
    400 mad = ? $60cad.
    Read more