Satellite
  • Day 17

    Day 17: Boiling in Beijing...

    June 14, 2017 in China ⋅ 🌙 30 °C

    ...sightseeing, shopping and 'very British problems'.

    Spent today taking in the main sights of China's capital. First we explored Tiananmen Square seeing the congress hall, Mao's mausoleum, the museum of Chinese history and revolution, and of course the gate to the Forbidden City.

    Forbidden city was huge. 980 buildings to be precise, the largest palace complex in the world. Peter guided us through the hustle and bustle, pointing out key buildings throughout the beautiful complex. Experienced the Chinese authorities in action when we - the 'common people' - were herded out despite buying tickets due to visiting French dignitaries. We had to comply as Peter had already pointed the numerous CCTV cameras.

    Warning: Upcoming 'very British problem'...
    So far we've been pretty tolerant of the lack of queues, though today Gill had a justified outburst in the toilets in the forbidden city....people shoving past to get to the cubicles ignoring the obvious queue, pulling open the doors when people weren't even finished - very rude! Emma was barely out of her cubicle when someone shoved past to get in!

    Then took the bus to Hong Chao Pur market where we picked up some tourist bargains and had some lunch. Emma was excited by the food court and let Peter choose her lunch, a delicious moderately spicy noodle dish and 'Chinese hamburger'. Gill was obviously still poorly as had to eat English food, and appreciated the blandness of her first Subway.

    All enjoyed shopping in Minso for facial treats then made our way to a fabulous Silk shop. Gill spent thousands in her head on new bedding, quilts and pillows - but managed to resist despite being told it will help keep her looking young!
    Emma was in love with the silk dresses...unfortunately out of a student budget, so will have to return when a rich qualified OT!

    Opted for an unplanned bike ride back to Hostel in 37^ heat - Katie Melua was in fact wrong, it felt like there were far more than 9 million bicycles in Beijing! Gill seriously hoping P20 was still working and chest would hold out! Great fun and beats the bustle of buses. Helmets not a thing here, so some positive risk taking necessary.

    Enjoyed some much needed relaxation and a bit of a pamper tonight, followed by a short mosey to a nearby hostel for a bite to eat and drinks.

    Gill loved speaking to Jen & Caris on What's App video.
    Special birthday wishes to my beautiful Jenni xx Love you from Mumbles

    Gill & Em x
    Read more