Satellite
  • Ciudad Perdida

    August 8, 2018 in Colombia

    When we decided to visit Colombia, the Ciudad Peridad (Lost City) was one of the main places we wanted to visit. It is located in the jungle in Sierra Nevada National Park. To reach the Lost City we had to hike for two days. The first day started in the midday sun so it was hot and humid and after five minutes of walking our clothes were already drenched in sweat. We realised quickly that the sweaty feeling would stay with us for the full trip. The climb wasn't the hardest but due to the heat it made every step feel like three steps. We stayed in a camp beside the river so it was nice to swim after our long day of walking however it also meant that the mosquitos were around too and they like my blood therefore I got bit a lot!

    The second day had the longest climb which felt like it went on for ages. There was a little bit more shade in the jungle which helped slightly with the humidity. We were rewarded with delicious fresh fruit snacks at the top of the hills as a break. The trial continued through rivers, up and down hills and through mud patches. The second camp was a little bit more basic as some of the beds were hammocks. We did the classic "name from a hat" to determine who would sleep in the hammocks and who got to sleep in a bed, luckily I wasn't one of them so I got a proper bed.

    On day three we finally reached the Lost City. The Lost City was built by natives, hundreds of years ago, but it was only discovered by the Colombian people thirty years ago. There is only 150 people allowed into the historic site everyday so after our guide gave us a tour of the place we were allowed to wander around for a while. It was nice that the place wasn't crowded so there was times that we felt as though we were alone as there was no one around us.

    When we all gathered back together we went back to the second camp for lunch before walking to the first camp for the night. The final day was a long walk back to the start but everyone made it. Our legs were very tired after the long walk and our clothes smelled so bad that Rob and I decided to throw them away instead of washing them. Overall we were glad to have done the four day hike as the Lost City was great to visit.
    Read more