Satellite
  • A Concert - The Portuguese Guitar

    January 15, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    We were fortunate to notice a sign advertising a concert and talk about the Portuguese Guitar in a former, very old chapel. We just had to go. The price was right, €5 each, and what an interesting subject.

    The Portuguese guitar is a pear-shaped plucked string instrument with twelve steel strings that are strung in six groups of two. It’s used for solo music as well as accompaniment.

    It was first used in the 13th century, amongst troubadours and minstrels. Since the 19th century, the Portuguese guitar has become unmissable in fado, Portugal’s best-known folk music. Outside Portugal, the instrument sometimes is used in Celtic and western folk music.

    There are two different fado styles, the Lisbon and the Coimbra style, and there are also two models of the Portuguese guitar.

    The Coimbra model is usually of simpler construction. It has a longer string length and its head ends in a tear shape decoration. It is tuned a whole tone lower as it is traditionally only used by educated men.

    With the Lisboa model, the ornament on the head of the guitar is spiral-shaped like the top of a violin. This model has a larger soundboard, a narrower neck profile and a brighter sound. This is used by men and women in the bars and streets.

    Playing the Portuguese guitar is traditionally played with only the thumb and the index finger; the other fingers rest below the strings, on the soundboard.

    The strings are only picked with the corner of the fingernail, not with the fingers themselves. After crossing the string, the index finger changes direction and hits the string with the back of the nail. Instead of their finger nails, some players use a pick. These guitar picks were originally made of tortoiseshell, but nowadays they’re usually nylon or plastic.

    Portuguese guitars are still built in Portugal in the traditional way. Families have passed on their knowledge and craftsmanship from generation to generation of guitarreiros. Instruments made by the Grácio family and Álvaro Ferreira are considered to be the best.

    Some famous musicians who’ve played the Portuguese guitar include the late Armandinho, António Chainho, Artur Paredes and his son Carlos Paredes, who was probably th3most internationally known Portuguese guitar player.

    The fellow who gave the presentation was an amazing musician and the whole show was very educational. He gave the talk in both French and English and we were impressed. A smart and talented man!
    Read more