Satellite
  • Day 56

    Where to go? So many cool things to do!

    February 4, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    The Bay of Islands and the Northland area of the North Island feels like ‘cottage’ country to us. In some ways, I wish that I had planned more time in this area. And it is not just the nature with its beaches and big old trees that interest us, it’s the history of the area that is intriguing. This is the birthplace of the nation where some of the earliest settlements of both the Maori and the Europeans were situated.

    The climate is subtropical and the forests are full of ferns, flowers and many varieties of trees.

    The Lonely Planet guidebook highlighted 7 areas - Cape Reinga at the very top of the island and the 90 mile beach, the Waipoua Forest where the oldest Kauri trees are located, the Bay of Islands where we are, the Waitangi Treaty Grounds for history and the Manguawhai Heads for surfing. So many places to visit and really only 3 full days.

    We decided against the very long trip north to Cape Reinga. It sounds like it would be a great place to visit but we would not be able to drive our car all the way up the 90 km of sand dunes, according to our car rental agreement. We would have to go with a tour group and it is a full day and very expensive.

    So, we are happy to see some of the numerous sights around pretty Pakaraka, while we are here. Even just staying on the farm is a wonderful experience.
    Read more