Satellite
  • Day 55

    Our Pakaraka Air BnB Farmhouse

    February 3, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Oh did we luck out! We are staying in a great self-contained apartment on a lovely small farm not far from Kerikeri. Our hostess and host are interesting people who have committed to living off the land and they are extremely interesting people with kind hearts.

    The little farm has about 16 acres with a milking cow, beef cattle, 3 calves, free range chickens, and a black lab named Jas. There are several gardens with the usual vegetables as well as herbs, sunflowers, and all sorts of ‘experimental ‘vegetables. The orchard was full of an assortment of plum, peach, avocado and nut trees.

    Our hostess was a busy lady who enjoyed experimenting while making jams and baked goods. While we were there, she was making kombucha. She had a job preparing a tea for visitors in a local tourist spot. She worked as a taxidermist before she moved to the farm!

    Her husband is a creative man who has a real interest in all things natural. He has a wealth of information about the flora and fauna of the area and loves the outdoors. Our daily evening chats with these two amazing people was always exciting. I guess that the four of us just clicked. Nice when that happens.

    Well, we are happy to be here and anticipate a wonderful stay.
    Read more