Satellite
  • Day 61

    Rapauwa Water Gardens

    February 9, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Driving to Coromandel Town on the last day of a 4 day holiday weekend was a test of Chris’ driving skills. Even though he has become quite good with driving on the other side on wiggly, narrow roads, I have some anxious moments as vehicles with big boat trailers and huge trucks carrying mussels whiz by in the opposite direction, taking up too much space.

    Thankfully, we saw a sign on the highway advertising the “Rapaura Watergardens. Experience the tranquil beauty”. The perfect time for a calming stop.

    Rapaura is a 64-acre private estate nestled in the middle of the Coromandel Forest Park, 30 minutes north of Thames.

    It is a lovely, mature property, which has evolved over more than 40 years. In the early 1960’s, Fritz and Josephine Loennig bought 64 acres of scrub and grazing land in the Tapu Valley and had a dream of creating a Garden of Eden - native trees and ferns, seasonal exotics, birds in their natural environment, lily ponds, water features, meandering walks over bridges and streams. They added sculptures made by an award winning artist and added a relaxing bush walk to a cascading waterfall, 'The Seven Stairs to Heaven'.

    This garden is presently owned by Sally Sank who believes that ‘...in any society, owning land is no more than becoming a temporary caretaker, and care we must, or the earth will cease to support our needs.’ Isn’t that right...

    We ended our visit by stopping in at the on-site tea house for a good coffee and a slice of orange/almond cake. New Zealanders love their coffee and we can always be guaranteed to have a good cup of Flat White coffee (coffee with milk).

    Then ... back into the car and onto that wiggly, narrow road heading north, trying avoid contact with all the speedy people heading south.
    Read more