Satellite
  • Day 72

    Napier’s Art Deco Festival

    February 20, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    During the third week of February (this week), Napier hosts an Art Deco Festival and here we are. It’s mission is to “preserve, restore,celebrate and promote Napier’s Art Deco heritage”.

    The first festival was held 32 years ago and since then it has grown significantly. I think that there are around 300 events this year, some that cost and others that are free - dinners, dances, picnics, balls, bands, Gatsy-esque fancy dress. Children and adults get all dressed up in vintage clothes from the 1920s to 1930s and have a not too serious celebration of things Art Deco. Phil Crosby ( Bing Crosby’s grandson) will be presenting his Golden Age of Hollywood show on Friday night. They expect about 40,000 people to attend.

    When we walked around the town on Thursday, we saw lots of evidence of things to come.Jazz music was being played in the bandshell, beautiful Model Ts were scooting around, people dressed as flappers and bootleggers, zoot suits and more. What a lot of fun.

    The weekend is the big event so we hope to see a parade of vintage cars or dogs, see the airshow with old planes, as well as to listen to the Marine Band.

    So today’s photos, on Thursday, are a only a teaser for Friday’s collection.
    Read more