Satellite
  • Day 98

    Home Again, to a New World

    March 17, 2020 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 2 °C

    Happy St. Patrick’s Day! We are home, a little tired but happy to be close to family during this unsettling time.

    Chris’ new St. Christopher pendant has done its job. Those who wear his medal are paying respect and hoping for his blessing on their travels. In addition to being the patron saint of travelers, Saint Christopher is believed to protect people from epilepsy, lightning, storms, pestilence, and floods.

    Within two weeks, the world has changed dramatically. We’re now in the face of massive closures and shutdowns, cancelled sports seasons, stock market declines and fistfights in the aisles of Costco over toilet paper. COVID-19, or the Coronavirus, has impacted everyone internationally in one way or another.

    Our trip home was better than expected. The airports were fairly empty of people and the time between flights was short. All of our flights were full. People were respectful, cautious and kept their distance as best as they could. Everyone had a story. The people working in the airports looked tired.

    December 16, 2020

    12:25 p.m. We boarded an Air NZ prop plane in Invercargill and flew to Christchurch. It took 1 hr 20 minutes.

    3:00 p.m. Air NZ jet from Christchurch to Auckland. 1 hour 25 minutes.

    7:50 p.m. Air NZ from Auckland to Los Angeles. 12 hours 5 minutes

    3:30 p.m. Air Canada from Los Angeles to Toronto. 4 hours 35 minutes

    11:15 p.m. Toronto

    We were able to get a Red Car from the airport to Guelph to pick up our car.

    Our car’s starter died yesterday, so Tim took our car to a mechanic to be fixed. As our car was not ready yet, Amy and Matt lent us their car and will pick up ours. Tim filled a cooler with basic food for us and left it in the car.

    We got home around 1. A neighbour had turned up the heat so it was comfortable when we got home. Our collected mail was on our table.

    Now it is time to self-isolate, or self-quarantine, for 2 weeks.

    It all turned out well. Thank you St. Christopher.
    Read more