Satellite
  • Day 108

    Pai

    January 8, 2015 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    After just one night, we left Chiang Mai for the time being and headed up north to the alleged hippie heaven that is Pai. And it truly is nice here. We would have liked to stay a little bit longer, but now that time has become a precious resource on our travel, it just isn't possible.

    Pai is embedded in beautiful mountain scenery and has lot's to offer. But the calm retreat that attracted many people years ago is no more. That doesn't necessarily mean it is a bad thing. Along with the tourists came a lot of nice cafes, bars and restaurants and Pai is still a very nice place with an arty vibe. It is just different, we guess. However, we pretty much had our best breakfast pancake in a garden cafe here!

    On the first day we explored the town and in the evening tried to show the folks here how to properly pub quiz. Not so easy though if you are the only team consisting of non-native speakers and only 2 people. Nonetheless we had to be cheated out of one point to finish 4th and not third and thus just shy of a bottle of locally burnt whisky. Damn them! On the other hand, we won't turn blind after drinking that stuff, so we got that going for us, which is nice.

    The second day here we just spent relaxing by the local pool, had some cake, relaxed in hammocks and capped off our stay with great dinner and couple of beers (which are quite expensive here). The weather wasn't so nice anymore and the day of our departure was a rainy on all the way to Chiang Mai.
    Read more