Satellite
  • Day 181

    Train to Christchurch

    March 22, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 8 °C

    Saturday night we spent in Greymouth, a town with pretty much nothing to offer, so you won't have to endure any pictures from there. The reason we went there in the first place was one of the most spectacular train rides in the world. The TranzAlpine, connecting East and West coast of New Zealand. This is the means of transport we have chosen to get back to Christchurch from where we fly home tomorrow.

    Because the train was delayed by 90 minutes from the start the crew was doling our complementary ice cream! We didn't complain too much even though we had another ice cream just before the train was leaving, forcing us to eat 2 in a short amount of time. Poor us! Refusing the free ice cream was for self evident reasons not an option. The comfortable train is fitted with an GPS-activated audio guide for whatever attraction you pass along the way. Very nice but we chose not to listen to it for the most part since it was basically going on all the time.

    The most spectacular part of the journey after the train climbed over 280 meters on just 8.5 kilometers up to Arthur's Pass. Pretty impress given that trains are notoriously bad climbers. Unfortunately, the weather was shit for the whole journey. So we missed out on some of the nicest views as they were covered in clouds. Still, it was s pretty nice train ride and a cool closure for our little adventure.

    Yes guys, it is happening: We are coming home!
    Read more