Satellite
  • Day 254

    Vancouver Island (Part 2)

    May 25, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    The day after we explored Telegraph Cove and while walking along the bay we saw a whale. :) An old couple from the campground last night told us about another awesome free camping spot at Ida Lake. So we checked it out and we were the only one there. Ruby and I went for a short dip in the lake. It was freezing but we had a campfire to heat up again afterwards.
    On our way to Qualicum Beach we stopped at Elk Falls. This waterfall was massive and so beautiful. They also had a suspension bridge to go over the canyon and many lookouts to get different views. We even saw two colourful rainbows. When we reached Qualicum Beach in the evening there was a delicious curry already waiting for us which our host had cooked. 😋 We went for a walk along the beach when it was low tide and watched the sunset.
    The next day we crossed the island to reach Tofino and checked in on Long Beach campground (the only time we had to pay for the night on this trip). Unfortunately it wasn't the perfect beach weather so I went for a walk through the cute town. On our second day in Tofino Jen and I drove to Uculet and did the Wild Pacific Trail while Madita and Ruby enjoyed a beach day. Before heading back to our campground we stopped at Long Beach (16 km) a perfect surfing spot cause it was quite windy.
    The day after was already our second last together. We stopped at Cathedral Cove where some of Canadas oldest and largest trees grow (giant Douglas fir tree, some more than 800 years old). For our last lunch and dinner together we treated ourselves with a tasty burger from "goats on the roof" where literally were goats grazing on the roof. 😅
    On saturday morning we took the ferry back from Departure Bay to Horseshoe Bay and it was time to say goodbye. But there wasn't really time for me being sad cause after dropping off the girls downtown and returning our car I was welcoming my parents at the airport in the late afternoon.
    I'd like to thank again Jen, Madita and Ruby for being such great travelbuddys and making the trip a cool adventure together! 😊
    Read more