Satellite
  • Day 1

    Hamad International Airport

    November 13, 2014 in Qatar ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Hamad International Airport is a relatively small airport, reasonably well-equipped with food, baggage trolleys, restrooms, praying facilities (for Muslims) and lounge facilities but doesn't really offer much in terms of entertainment and shopping. They make up for it with a free Doha City Tour.

    Eat Street is the name of the dining area which according to the airport's website, allows travellers to enjoy cuisines from around the world. Now I think that's a bit of a stretch because the selection is extremely limited, but we did get some nice Arabic food from a store called Azka, and the customer service was nice. The currency in Qatar is Qatar Riyals, but USD and credit cards are accepted.

    I had Lebanese Tabbouleh, traditionally made of tomatoes, finely chopped parsley, mint, and onion, and seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt (Thanks Wikipedia!). The brown thing is Kibbeh, a Levantine dish made of burghul (cracked wheat), minced onions and finely ground lean beef, lamb, goat or camel meat. Mine was lamb. It's very nice and crispy, and a good supplement to my greens which despite being very crunchy and appetizing, made me feel less than full. Bad choice for breakfast!

    We rested in a lounge before our flight. This is my favourite part of the airport. The chairs are so comfortable! They're angled just like the lounging chairs at the beach, and it is so easy to doze off on them. Furthermore, they are very near the departure gates, so if you do ever doze off, you only have a short distance to run. There are women-only lounges and we practically had the whole place to ourselves.

    For more pictures and details, visit my Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kurodatenshi/albu…
    Read more