Satellite
  • Day 26

    Oren Patrol in Tokyo!

    August 9, 2015 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    9th August was an action packed day for Oren patrol, with plenty of fun, laughter, and a lot of tourism!!

    After purchasing breakfast from Japan's answer to Waitrose (but without the extortionate prices!!), we visited Shibuya, to witness - in daylight - the phenomenon of the world's busiest zebra crossing. Of course, a visit to Starbucks was necessary, and we all enjoyed a bevarage from the cold menu. However, we couldn't stay in Starbucks for the whole day, so we moved on...

    The next stop was Harijuku Market, where we hit the shops in search of souvenirs and gifts. The 100¥ (approx. 50p) shop was a popular destination for a few members of the patrol, and at least one of us (naming no names) used the opportunity to buy a few gifts for family and friends....but alas - the 100¥ doesn't include tax (8%), so we all had to pay 8¥ extra per item...it seems that this is common in Japan...lots of prices don't include tax....

    Lunch was an interesting affair...after finding a small 'restaurant' that seemed to be relatively pleasant, we found out, when ordering from a vending machine, that veggie options are slightly limited...SeB had two options - boiled or poached. The egg was served with a salad bowl and a bowl of rice, which was stolen by Anna (the writer is not - in any way, shape, or form - bitter about this. At all...). It was also quite entertaining to see Debbie (the CMT member who had the 'pleasure' of spending the day with us!!) trying her absolute best to get a glass of water with no verbal communication whatsoever! It included a lot of waving and pointing, and even more being ignored!! We then decided that we were being too raucous, so quickly finished and left before we were forced to leave...we supplemented our meal with McFlurrys. We were lovin' it! (Sorry...I just can't help being so punny...)

    We then became cultured and mature young adults, visiting the shrines and temples in Ueno Park. Naturally, visiting temples, one must cleanse oneself with the ladles of water outside, and waft incense over oneself as an act of spiritual cleansing before entering, and once inside, best behaviour is required, with strictly no photography...or clapping!!

    Following this, we tried to get a taste of the hi-tech, electric side of Japan, with a visit to Akihabara, the Electric City. Described by Owain as "interesting", it was certainly an experience...less 'Big Lights, Big City' and more 'Big Lights, Cramped Basement', but it was an entertainment, which saw Owain and Tom purchase some ...interesting... umbrellas!!

    We then proceeded to have fun in Joypolis, which was fabulous, even if the queues did take between 20 and 75 minutes to conquer!!

    Overall, a great day out for Oren patrol, with Debbie from CMT joining in with all the fun...thanks Debs!!
    Read more