Satellite
  • Day 29

    Gallipoli

    June 15, 2016 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Like I said, this is huge for the the Australians and New Zealanders of the group. We visited the memorials for them, as well as the Turks... We're in Turkey, so, as you'd expect, their memorial is quite extensive, but the Australian memorial is also quite large (signs mention that the Turkish government gifted the acres of land used to Australia). However, the New Zealand memorial is quite small.

    The campground was a short distance away on the Gallipoli Peninsula, which was nice because it was incredibly hot out and the group was definitely ready for a rest. It extended all the way to the beach, but it was about a kilometer walk to get there (or at least it felt like it) because it was so spread out. Most of us went for a swim in the ocean to cool off and it was terrific! Afterwards, I decided to wash off the salt with a shower, but unfortunately the shower facility was less than fantastic - I ended up enjoying a speedy drip of cool water from a showerhead. A decent shower is definitely something I'm looking forward to for the few nights we stay in hotels!

    Early start tomorrow to catch the ferry across the Dardanelles to Troy!
    Read more