Satellite
  • Day 34

    Albania

    June 20, 2016 in Albania ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Almost as soon as we crossed the border into Albania, every second car was a Mercedes of some variety... Apparently, many Italians moved to Albania over the last 60 years and a Mercedes was a way to show others your status. There are also a huge number that are stolen and find a second home in Albania (they definitely wouldn't stand out from the crowd).

    The other thing you notice is that everyone and their dog start up car washes on the side of the road; regardless of whether you're in a city, town, or along the highway. They spray water into the air to entice drivers to stop at their establishment.

    We stayed in the capital city of Tirana at a hotel.. Our last hotel night of the trip! This was definitely the best of the hotels we stayed in (it helped that I got a room to myself and didn't have any roommates): queen-sized bed, huge shower with rain feature, spacious, pool views, and great AC! The only downside was the wedding celebration going on in the pool patio area until the wee hours.

    We got into town in the early afternoon and spent some time exploring the city before heading to the hotel.
    Read more