Satellite
  • Day 213

    Cali

    June 9, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    As we have arrived to Cali really early in the morning and spent first 4 hours sitting at the bus terminal waiting for the sunrise, we could get a first idea of what we are about to encounter bright early in the morning.
    We haven't read much about Colombia beforehand and therefore didn't know what to expect.
    I think even of we would read everything there is, nothing could us prepare for this experience.
    After a quick breakfast in our hostel and getting our bearing right, we decided to head towards the city.
    It's got two centres. One of them is business and residential are for the top class and second is for the locals full of colours, street vendors and South American smells and noise.
    Firstly we walked the "old" centre that was full of condominiums with rooftop swimming pools and security cameras. In between were jeeps converted to buses full of people and trees covered with mangoes, figs and parrots.
    From here we headed through a small hill with a picturesque church to the city centre of the locals.
    There was much more people on the streets with the usual noise. We definitely preferred this unpolished part of the city. Even though there was still couple of nice buildings and the area along the river is very nice.
    We grabbed lunch in one of the many places serving almuerzo and tried delicious pork with rice and potatoes.
    We walked all the way back to the hostel and I managed to take a picture what happens to be my favorite type of transportation we have seen in South America.
    We got back to the hostel right on time before a massive storm began.
    We have never heard such a thunder. We grabbed a beer and enjoyed watching the storm to pass on the terrace while listening to the rhythm of salsa.
    Read more