Satellite
  • Day 12

    Day 12

    August 16, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Up 5am for final packing. Sydney has been great and we were so lucky with the weather.

    Bus to airport 6ish. No problem with check in and security so now very early. Had fruit & buns & pancakes for breakfast.

    Took off 10.30amish. Had g & t & few glasses of wine. Andy had dahl & brisket sandwich and I had slivers of trout & pork fillet & rice. Lovely. Tried to sleep but no chance because it's still daytime for us. Flight was about 12 hours and we landed 6.30am which was 1.30am tomorrow for us. Weird to go back in time like that. We landed 4 hours before we took off!

    Bungled our way through immigration and customs. Took about an hour which was pretty good. Limo waiting and that took another hour to reach hotel in rush hour. Couldn't believe how incredibly grotty the drive was. Very grubby and run down. Loews Hotel lovely though and we could check in which was great. Room with a view of the Hollywood sign without paying extra!

    Had strong coffee then out for walk along the Walk of Fame. Again, grubby and sleazy. Streets were dirty. Went to look for car hire office via back street. Felt dangerous - settees out on street, dodgy looking people around. Gave up and came back to hotel.

    Went in restaurant and had omelette and bacon & egg. $50 inc tip.

    Asked hotel to ring car hire place to ask them to pick us up tomorrow. All fine.

    Sat by pool for a rest. Still only 12.15! Not comfortable enough to sleep so went across road to 'Tinhorn Flats' pub. Proper diner inside. Had local lager $9 for 2 so had another.

    Back to hotel for 1 hour sleep - necessary!!

    Out again 4ish for walk the other way. Very busy with fascinated people taking photos of the names in stars on the floor.

    Had beers in Jameson Irish bar $9 for 2 so we had another! Watched life on the street. All of life is here - hippies, dropouts, vagrants, misfits but feels Ok tonight. Not aggressive or confrontational at all. Quite high security presence moving the vagrants on but they didn't go far.

    Went to Italian cafe for tea. Lasagna & carbonara & bottle Bud $30. Barman very much into English football so we had to sound knowledgeable and join in.

    Back to 'Flats' for last beer, quick look at street lighting up then home 8.30. Looks a bit more glitzy with the neon lights.

    Lots of beautiful houses up on the hills but the town of Hollywood is really grotty. Glad we've seen it but would't come back.

    Glass wine then bed.
    Read more