Satellite
  • Day 26

    Mekong River

    March 23, 2019 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    1st activity in Nam - Mekong River
    Excited to say the least as our expectations are high due to instagram pics we saw.

    Booked a 2 day 1 night experience, I'm sure this will be a good few day's.

    Before getting picked up by bus, we have to get another egg coffee and bunh mÿ.

    On our way, we make for a "pit stop" at some bamboo/coconut factory. Surprise as what is going on, we get taken on a unexpected tour of bamboo and coconut clothes, utensils, medicines, confectionary, you name it.

    After just buying a ice cream, we back on the bus for what's hopefully the mekong.
    Off the bus and onto the boat.
    The boat makes it's way as we stop for another "pit stop", this time a some honey and bee keepers. Great tasting honey and tee's but still no mekong.

    From the honey, we get taken to where they make cocnut toffee. Great "pit stop" as we could have good portion tasters. Interesting process from coconut shaving, to toffee wrapping.

    From toffee's we head down some local vendors for handcrafted goodies, but no mekong.

    Finally, get to the main attraction and get split into groups for easy transportation. Get a quick safety briefing and on the boats we go.

    Awesome and beautiful boats and view, sun scorching above, chocolate milky waters, and we're done. A full 1 kilometers row to where we get dropped off. Gave guide a tip, but was told not enough so took the tip back.

    Not delivering to expectations, but hay, maybe tomorrow with the floating market.

    Back on bus where tour groups split up.
    Dropped off at hostel for the night, with the group deciding to hit the town and explore.

    Great food stop and some good night market shopping.
    Read more