Satellite
  • Day 11

    Day 5 Dunvegan: A day of lochs and locks

    October 25, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ 🌧 10 °C

    After a final wander around Fort William we set off for our next destination. For a while we followed the road to Inverness which runs through the Great Glen, a geological fault line that cuts Scotland in two. The Great Glen is home to three lochs and the Caledonian Canal. We made a slight diversion to Fort Augustus where we walked up next to the flight of locks on the Caledonian Canal and watched some boats moving up hill. We ate our lunch at the very western end of Loch Ness and despite keeping a careful watch we did not spot any unusual creatures.

    We left the Glen at Invermoriston, the road from here until the Skye Bridge was very quiet and the scenery very dramatic. We passed a few more lochs on the way to add to our total. We crossed over the sea to Skye via the bridge and headed north through yet more stunning scenery and past more lochs. We arrived at our B&B around 15:30. Our room overlooks Dunvegan Loch with a backdrop of mountains in the distance.

    Eager to explore a little more of Skye we headed out again and drove west to get a taste of our surroundings. We encountered numerous sheep in the road and one cow! We carried on west until the roads narrowed such that a quad bike would be a more suitable mode of transport. We about turned and headed back for our B&B.

    This evening we dined at The Old School Restaurant in Dunvegan. As the name suggests it was once a school and is now a quirky but very pleasant restaurant. Some of the features include the old blackboard, now the specials board, and old school photographs. Sarah thoroughly enjoyed pan roasted sea bass fillet served on a potato and spinach cake with purple sprouting broccoli and a lemon and caper butter while Andrew, feeling rather adventurous, chose langoustines fished from Dunvegan Loch. We both finished off our meal with cranachan, a rather delicious layered raspberry, whiskey cream and oat crumble pudding.
    Read more