Satellite
  • Day 1

    Day 1 Hello NYC

    November 19, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    After 31.5 hours, door to door we are finally in The Big Apple. Flying over the city and driving into Manhattan at night, really were amazing experiences. Despite being exhausted and desperate for a hot shower and comfy bed, we were so excited to finally be here. Today we woke up to a moderately cold day, but blue sky. Most of the day was spent wandering Greenwich Village and checking out The Friends building at Ellie's request and then we covered half of Central park, including the beautiful Lake, with all of the changing leaves and Strawberry Fields, with the Imagine Tribute. Times Square and Broadway just blew us away and being theatre buffs, there is so much to see and do. Amazing to finally see 42nd Street, Chrysler Tower, Maddison Square Garden Empire State Building (which is next to our hotel) and various other landmarks, we've long heard about, but not experienced until now.
    Tonight we had dinner with my Penpal from almost 30 years ago, Bobbie Jo and her husband and daughter. It was the first time we have met, but despite losing contact for 20 years, we felt like we really know each other. Dinner at Ellen's Stardust Diner, was such a fun night and worth the wait, outside for an hour in 5 degrees.
    Not such a great night's sleep, due to many sirens and horn blowing, but we are thrilled with the location of our hotel and the close proximity to so many attractions. More tomorrow 😊
    ( It turns out that I am limited to posting 6 photos 😩 so I will be posting more on my instagram account mayzielahicks)
    Read more