Satellite
  • Day 24

    On the way to Fitz Roy

    November 30, 2019 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    Packing for a multi-day hiking trip is always a challenge. What's the minimum we need of everything? How much kilograms of oat flakes, or pasta? How many fruits and vegetables do we want to carry? We were helped by the kind hostel owner who let us store some of our stuff that we didn't need in a locker. Regardless, our backpacks were almost completely filled with clothes, cooking stuff, and food. Franzi picked up some vegan lunch packages which we ordered at the nice restaurant the night before.

    We set off around noon for the first stretch of 8,8km. On the way we walked by Laguna Capri with a beautiful view of the iconic ridge-line of Cerro Fitz Roy and its satellite peaks. No matter how often we had already seen it, at every new viewpoint it was again just as cool to look at these massive vertical peaks, the red, grey and dark colors of the rock and the snow and ice on their not too steep parts. After enjoying a lunch with a view on a river delta, we ultimately arrived at our campsite for the night at Poincenot. It was a free campsite in a forest not far from the viewpoint we planned on hiking to the next morning. Funnily enough we met lots of people from O'Higgins during the hike including the Swiss family of 6 who planned on doing the same 3-day hike as we. We arrived at 16:00, set up our tent and made a simple cheese-spaghetti dinner that got very stuck in our pot. Even though it was still early, it was already getting quite cold and we were happy to enter our warm sleeping bags.
    Read more