Satellite
  • Day 26

    Glacier view and actual sunrise!

    December 2, 2019 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    This time our alarms went off a little bit later, as we didn't need to hike 1,5 hours to reach our sunrise viewpoint. At 5:40 we were ready and waiting at Laguna Torre with a view on the glacier and Cerro Torre. This time there actually was a sunrise! Once the sun hit the glacier, the wind picked up a lot and we were still pretty cold for awhile. Some other people literally brought their sleeping bag to the viewpoint to stay warm. But when the sun really broke through we also made ourselves a nice oat meal breakfast. Even though significantly smaller than Fitz Roy, Cerró Torre and its surrounding landscape are almost as impressive.

    While Machiel kindly brought back our breakfast gear to the camp and rested his feet, the rest went on to Mirador Maestri, a viewpoint of glacier. We really enjoyed this impressive mass of ice, the different looks of it but especially the icebergs that seemed to zickzack through a part of it. The weather was amazing but we didn't really get used to the strong sun that roasted one side of our bodies while the strong winds from the glacier froze the other. Back at the campsite, we had to slowly say goodbye to this amazing landscape and hike back the 9km to El Chaltén. Thanks to the dominance of the mountain range we could enjoy nice views a lot whenever looking back. Back in El Chaltén we took our reserved beds at our known hostel Casa Azul.
    Read more