Satellite
  • Day 29

    A lot of ice that sometimes falls

    December 5, 2019 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    The present in the morning wasn't in our shoes, but it was the local flamingo park we wanted to visit being closed when it was supposed to be open. This was a good thing, as it turned out to be quite expensive for what it was, but it was nonetheless nice enough to walk around the park and look over the fence. We then walked through the very (very very very...) windy dunes and saw some flamingos anyway.

    After a quick break at the hostel we took a bus to our afternoon activity, visiting the Perito Moreno glacier. It's really cool. It crosses the lake almost completely (sometimes completely) and is thus very accessible for viewing from the hill on the other side. We spent some hours walking around on the excellent board walks in front of it. This did not only make it possible to see it from above as well as from below, but we could actually get very close to it. We witnessed huge chunks of ice break off and crash in the lake, which was really great to see. You just cannot predict when it's going to happen. That did make us a bit anxious walking to the next viewpoint when some trees blocked our view as we might miss another huge piece break off.

    It was also amazing to see how huge the valleys and cracks in the ice were, sometimes going almost completely from the top to the bottom (while the glacier was 40-70m high), how uneven the surface is and how blue the ice looks in the sun. We had 3 hours to spend here and at the end it was still difficult to let go of this view. While the bus ride to the glacier took us unbelievable 3 hours (while we did not expect that at all, it was still absolutely worth it), the bus ride back took only 1,5 hours and made it possible to finish dinner just before 10.
    Read more