Satellite
  • Day 86

    Blown away

    January 31, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    We woke up in our tent. Which is the standard opening of our footprints, and we're sorry for the repetitiveness. But this time we were literally glad our tent hadn't flown away. It was still very windy. We took a much needed shower and had breakfast in the common kitchen area. Then we paid at the reception, as they weren't open anymore when we arrived yesterday evening.

    After some grocery shopping and getting some cash, we went to Demolition World: a 'village' of trash that someone built in their huge garden. It was interesting to look around, but nothing spectacular either. Mainly a lot of mannequins in differently styled houses like a trainstation or barbershop. It could've been set up better.

    We drove further northwest towards Fiordland. And had lunch on a parking with ocean view in Riverton. Then we made a stop in 'Cozy Nook', a bay with some fishing huts. We got out of the car and were literally blown away. The view of the wild ocean waves hitting rocks was also nice to see.

    The problem with such strong wind is that it really doesn't feel very inviting to leave the car. It also makes you very tired. So we did that only once more before leaving the coast: at Gemstone Beach, a beach with some very nice cliffs.

    Further inland the wind decreased and we choose to camp in the sunny and calm Tuatapere.
    Read more