Satellite
  • Day 115

    When emu's attack

    February 29, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Our campsite was probably the least glamorous so far. There wasn't even a toilet. The only nice thing about it could be that it's a viewpoint on a mountain, however it was completely foggy so it was invisible until we almost left. We quickly made our way out of there and drove towards what we had left behind some days ago: the Great Ocean Road.

    On the way we stopped at the Tower Hill Lake. We read that it was a great spot for seeing wildlife and that turned out to be true. We went on a small walk around some wetlands and indeed spotted some sleepy koalas hanging in the trees. Very cute to see again. We also saw some emus walking around and one kangaroo. Back at the car park we decided to have lunch on one of the nice picnic benches. One of the emus also liked it there and seemed quite interested in our beetroot dip and wraps. It's slightly discomforting if an emu gets so close that it looks like it's gonna pick on you or your food. Luckily he didn't attempt too much and quickly found more interesting targets.

    Our next stop was the Cheese World. We had a quick look around their free museum on all sorts of old stuff like the first washing machines and a very old toaster. Then it was time to get one of their fresh milkshakes, which were really nice, especially the coffee flavoured one Susanne picked.

    The last stop of the day was called Childers Cove. We had finally made it to the Great Ocean Road again and saw some very beautiful coastline with a very nice beach and cool cliffs and limestone formations.

    Our chosen free campsite of the night was surrounding a cricket field, and when we arrived there was in fact a game going on. As we still didn't understand much of it we watched a YouTube video about the rules. We had a lentils curry for dinner in the sun before crawling into our sleeping bags again.
    Read more