Satellite
  • Day 118

    New Zealand taps

    March 3, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Due to a bit of a jetlag we were awake early on. But that didn't mean we'd do a lot today. First we had to wait until 8:30 for a rather late but free breakfast. Machiel tried a toast with the Australian version of marmite: vegemite. Not as nice as its counterpart from New Zealand, so we're going to give that one a miss. Afterwards we were researching stuff. The idea was to do a road trip to the north, but we were honestly taken a back a bit when we saw the weather forecast. Turns out even in March the temperatures can get quite high in the outback up north. Even in Perth we noticed we had to get used to the heat again after very pleasant weather back in the Melbourne area. We went for a walk to the visitor center of Western Australia to ask for some advice. This gave us reassurance and also some helpful information about the roads. We also bought a 4 week pass for national parks in Western Australia, stocked up on cash, looked a bit more into things we wanted to do along our road trip and prepared a van checklist and grocery shopping list for tomorrow. Then we were basically readily prepared for our big trip.
    The rest of the day we spend resting and reading about Super Tuesday and Corona.

    By the way, this will seem random but we realised we never properly complained about New Zealand water taps which only would be fair after having complained so much about South American showers. The thing about New Zealand taps is that they far too often just don't make any sense. Imagine for example a big sink and then in two opposite corner you have two tiny taps, one with hot and one with cold water. Not only can you not mix them to any other temperature, you also can't really put your hands under either of them because they are so close to the edge of the sink that there is no space. They were sadly very common, but there are also taps where you only get water as long as you hold the button pressed down meaning you can only wash one hand at a time, using that same hand, somehow? But the most brilliant tap is the one that combines the feature of having to press to get any water with don't press too hard because then you get a free shower with it. OK, rant over. We're not there anymore.
    Read more