Satellite
  • Day 120

    The Nambung Pinnacles

    March 5, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    To avoid the worst of the heat we headed north early to visit Nambung National Park. Less than a week after visiting the Pinnacle viewpoint in the Grampions, now we were going to do a walk through the so called Pinnacles Dessert. We arrived at 8:30 and were apart from 2 or 3 other cars the only ones there in the beginning.

    There were 2 options on how to see the Pinnacles. Either drive a 4km loop or walk a 1.5km loop. Since the road was unsealed and our rental car insurance doesn't allow that, we went for option 2. We didn't really feel that was a restriction though as we could walk around everywhere and take lots of pictures. It was pretty surreal how in this particular part of bushland there were thousands of limestone peaks peaking through the sandy floor. There was also a cute pair of galahs.

    We walked around there for a bit more than an hour before fleeing from the flies into the visitor centre which actually just opened at 9:30. They had some nice information about the partially Dutch history of the area and local flora and fauna. We spend another hour or so here before going back to our van were we relaxed and cooked lunch. We figured it's best to spend the hours between 11:00 and 15:00 not doing much, except for preponing the cooking of the evening meal so we can avoid eating and cleaning up in the dark.

    We drove further to explore Green Head's shopping centre for some tea towels, and a local beach for more relaxing. Our campsite of the night was another free rest area next to the highway. But let's put that right, highway here means one lane in each direction and almost no cars, especially not at night. Plus the rest stop had beach access! And some nice rocks to climb on for better phone reception but of course also a nice view for sunset.
    Read more