Satellite
  • Day 7

    Day 6 - Forum, Colosseum, and Truffles

    October 19, 2021 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Woke up with more sights to see in Rome! Today was ancient day. Our entry time to the colosseum was 1:30 but that gave us time to see the forum before. On the way to the forum, we saw the state house, another grand and ornate building. Weaving through crowds, we eventually found the forum entrance.

    After the forum, we made our way over the colosseum nearby after picking up prosciutto and cherry tomatoes for a quick picnic inside. Upon entering, we found a seat with a beautiful view and plopped down for our meal. Fellow tourists passed by, seemingly envious of our big brain picnic idea. We were only missing limoncello to wash it all down. After our picnic, we spent time exploring the colosseum and artifacts in the museum. We then headed home to rest up before a truffle dinner with Dave's parents. On our walk home, we made a quick stop in to one of the churches that just has a Caravaggio hanging on the wall (one of the 6 church Caravaggios our Airbnb host circled on the map for us).

    Our dinner reservation was 7:30 for a truffle restaurant called Ristorante Pietro Valentini, another spot recommended by our wonderful Airbnb host. It was nice to overlap with Dave's parents and see them for dinner before our Florentine adventure with them tomorrow. Dave and I ordered a salad to start and then shared a tagliolini with fresh shaved white Truffles and a mushroom risotto with fresh shaved black Truffles. The food was to die for and our waitress, Simona, made the experience unforgettable. It was welcoming and delicious, the type of experience we were expecting from a 3rd generation family-run Italian restaurant. We debated stopping for Gelato on the way home, but we all agreed we were thoroughly stuffed. Another unforgettable day and time to rest up before our day trip to Florence tomorrow.
    Read more