Satellite
  • Day 9

    Day 8 - Rome -> Athens

    October 21, 2021 in Greece ⋅ 🌬 13 °C

    We've reached our last day in Rome :( But excited for our time in Athens! We still had some wine, cheese, and crackers to finish so that was breakfast! And the white wine we didn't finish went in my water bottle to keep us company on the journey to the airport. We left our lovely host, Emiliano, a little note of thanks on the table and headed out.

    At the train station, we were confused about where to go... until a kind Midwest accent pointed us to the airport train. Using the powers of observation, we recognized his Notre Dame backpack and struck up a convo while avoiding talking about South Bend too much 😂 He is studying abroad in Vienna, but was headed to Dublin for his weekend, likely to hang out with other Catholics. A nice dude, we sat with him on the train as we sipped our wine and discussed the cities we would be going to in the near future. He had been to Budapest recently so had some good recommendations. All good things must come to an end and after a tearful goodbye, we disembarked the train and headed to our gate.

    The flight was close to empty. After an easy flight and cab ride, we made it to Athens. Our host, Kostis, greeted us and showed us the Airbnb. We could not have picked a place with a better view of the Acropolis. Tired from travel and impressed with the porch view, we sampled some Greek beer and wine(?). It was nice having a relaxing day.

    Dinner was at a nearby Greek seafood restaurant. After some delicious octopus, shrimp, and tzatziki (and anchovies for Dave 🤮), we went home and quickly fell asleep.
    Read more