Satellite
  • Day 155

    Machu Picchu at last

    November 5, 2018 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 64 °F

    Picking up from yesterday's post, after the salt mines we visited Moray, an agricultural site where the Incas took advantage of natural formations to create greenhouses of sorts. We then had lunch, followed by a visit to Ollantaytambo, another archeological site.

    After that, we made our way to the nearby IncaRail tourist train that took us to Machu Picchu Pueblo. We arrived at our very posh hotel and had dinner. I crashed hard because we had an early go this morning.

    We left the hotel at 6:30 to take a short bus ride up the mountain. What we found there, like everyone before us, was...Amazing. Magnificent. Awe-inspiring. Temple of the Sun, Room of the Three Windows, Condor Temple, the Inca's Palace [Inca means King; the people are called Quechuan for their language], the Intihuatana stone...so many aspects to the city.

    Machu Picchu is incredible and is on a ticking clock for tourists. Very soon, maybe within two years, tourists will no longer be able to walk within the walls. They will only be allowed to take photos from above. If this is on your bucket list, move it to the top.

    Another once in a lifetime experience complete.

    We're at lunch in the Pueblo now. Yummy.

    So long [for now] and thanks for all the fish. ✌️
    Read more