Satellite
  • Day 274

    Raglan Surf Town

    March 4, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 70 °F

    After finishing my taxes--which I would've done earlier but I totally forgot--I got back on the bus and we headed to the Tasman Sea (west coast) and the surfing community of Raglan. Actually, to the hostel about 15 minutes outside of the town past Manu Bay Reserve. The surfing at Manu Bay has a world famous left hand break (the waves hit the rocks from left to right, which apparently is not that common, but I don't surf so whatever). Anyway, I did see the surfing movie "Endless Summer," which was filmed there.

    Our hostel was in the bush about a click from the beach. I saw a sign about glow worms being beside the road, so around 21:00 I took a walk to find them. Until last night, I had only seen them in caves. I found them (picture with a couple of spots), but I also stumbled upon a possum. Although protected in Australia, they are considered pests here because they are not native and destroy the indigenous trees. I was surprised how similar its face was to a wallaby.

    This morning I walked up to Inspiration Point for a nice view of the beach area. Then we were back on the bus for Raglan. After a quick walk down to the water, I grabbed a cup of coffee. While I was slowly sipping it--I don't like coffee so why I get it sometimes I have no idea--I was approached by Mike, a Kiwi doing a survey. We spent about 45 minutes chatting about environmental tourism (from him) and the Hash (from me). We both learned something 😁. Then I made my way to the old Harbor View Hotel for a glass of wine and a salad for lunch, where I am now. Yummy!

    So long [for now] and thanks for all the fish. ✌️
    Read more