Satellite
  • Day 9

    Isla de Caño

    January 6, 2021 in Costa Rica ⋅ ⛅ 81 °F

    After lunch, I went back to the hotel to combat the heat and humidity. With only a fan, I was only slightly successful.

    I met the hotel owner when he arrived later in the evening, and he explained that he booked me on a snorkeling trip off Cano Island in the morning. Yay! I spent the rest of the evening trying to stay cool in bed. Again, only slightly successful, so I didn't sleep very well.

    Despite poor sleep, I was looking forward to today, and it has not disappointed so far. I didn't bring my contacts, so I knew I wouldn't be able to see very much snorkeling, but I was extremely fortunate to spot a small octopus in the coral. My first one while snorkeling!

    [Note: If you were happy for me to see an octopus, I highly recommend you watch Netflix's nature documentary "My Octopus Teacher." It is absolutely incredible!]

    On our way to the island, we were surround by a small pod of Pantropical Spotted Dolphins, one of which was missing its dorsal fin, most likely from a shark attack. Better yet, while transitioning to another snorkeling spot, we happened across a critically endangered Hawksbill Sea Turtle. I'm always a little leary of guides who boast about seeing very rare species. However, we were right next to it when it took three breaths, and its head and back were clearly visible. The guide was very excited, so I believe him. I wish I would have had time to take a photo, but it happened too quickly. Gorgeous!

    Now, were finished with snorkeling and taking a break on the beach before heading back for lunch. What a great day so far!

    Pura vida!

    The Day:
    Pantropical spotted dolphins
    Brown boobies feeding from dolphins
    Ranger station
    Dive 1
    Octopus!
    Dive 2
    Hawksbill turtle endangered
    School big eye jack with yellow fin sturgeon eating their poo
    Yellow puffers
    Rays jumping out of the water
    Beach: female j.c. basilisk?
    Food back at Drake Bay
    Read more