Satellite
  • Day 45

    Sunny autumn in Bulgaria

    October 13, 2017 in Bulgaria ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    We've reached our last EU country and our first time zone shift - and it feels as if we're traveling into the past, with omnipresent horse buggies, old Ladas and abandoned villages and industrial facilities (including never finished or decommissioned nuclear power plants). But there are charming lively villages with open-hearted people as well. An old lady bought us two expensive Milka chocolate bars and we believe she told us (with her hands and feet) that we'll need it for the Bulgarian mountains. Yes, communication is sometimes a bit difficult but there's always a way and the OhneWörterBuch we got from Samuel in Vienna has turned out to be quite helpful.

    We're enjoying the quiet, bleak hilly landscape, a gorgeous starlit sky and perfect weather - only sun so far. There are burning bushes alongside the road and we're wondering whether those fires are made on purpose - locals only shrug their shoulders.

    There is no infrastructure for tourists at all on this section of the EuroVelo 6 so our tent became valuable like never before - and we're glad to find a beautiful guesthouse yesterday, including a hot shower.

    We're going to miss the Danube but are definitely excited about the next days and our way to the Black Sea.
    Read more