Satellite
  • Day 53

    Back at sea level

    October 21, 2017 in Bulgaria ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    With directions from our insider Jaap we felt confident to cross the upcoming range of hills and reach the Black Sea within a few days.

    Cycling along little-used roads through beautiful landscape during a seemingly never ending gypsy summer, we've developed more and more love for this country and its people.

    However, the village of Sungurlare ought to dampen our mood as we found ourselves within reams of garbage surrounding this village. We've already seen and documented a lot of trash along the roads and within the fields in Hungary, Croatia, Serbia and Bulgaria but this beats everything so far on our journey - the picture below is just a small snippet. Of course, there are reasons and attempts to explain this mess and we understand that people are working hard and fighting for their daily bread to survive - but what gives people the right to treat our environment like this, no matter how their living conditions look like? We're wondering what we can do about it on our journey to make at least a tiny little change...

    With slightly more than 3000km on our clock we've reached the Black Sea in Burgas. After spending two relaxing days on the beach, today, we're going to jump on a freight ship which will take us to Batumi in Georgia within three nights. We've refused our plan to cycle through Turkey as the Eastern highlands have already seen frost and snow - hardly imaginable how it would look like if we would get there in more than a month :)

    However, we're super excited to get the chance to explore Georgia!
    Read more