Satellite
  • Day 63

    From Borjomi to Mtskheta

    October 31, 2017 in Georgia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Looking forward to our reunion with Tural in Gori, we speeded up and chose to cycle on the motorway for the first time. Moreover, we're not yet in the mood again to go slalom on the bumpy side roads.

    In Gori, which is actually Stalin's birthplace, we met Tural in the lovely Nitsa Guesthouse, had a Georgian feast together and admired the daughter of the house playing the piano. What a great host family! We decided not to visit the Stalin museum as it is said to not review the history in a proper critic reflective way. However, at least the giant Stalin statue has been removed. Or as a French guest commented on the Stalin cult 'What an impression would a Hitler-statue in Germany make?'.

    Next day, the three of us hit the road towards Tbilisi and cycled together until we split up at Mtskheta as Tural wanted to meet another friend and we decided to pay a visit to Mtskheta. Contrary to Gori, we found this city to be in a better shape, but significantly more touristy. However, the cathedral is quite impressing and we could practice our Russian with a nice Georgian granny in our guesthouse.

    In the meantime we've left Tbilisi behind us and are having a lunch break in a roadside family kitchen. The border with Azerbaijan is getting closer. Pictures of Tbilisi will follow...
    Read more