Satellite
  • Day 22

    Home!

    April 25, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 32 °F

    We are back home after 4,198km (2,609 miles), which feels very odd after such a long phase of moving around. At long last (drum roll) here are the BESTS of the trip:

    1. Best town: Pontevedra. Classy old town with great food and a memorable hotel on a charming plaza.

    2. Best restaurant. Loaira Xantar in Pontevedra. Absolutely amazing rationes under an umbrella on one of the many plazas reinforced Pontevedra's sophistication. Rumor was they had a Michelin star, if not they deserved one.

    3. Best day. It's unanimous, a beautiful hike in the Picos de Europa was the winner. In general, we have concluded from this trip, as others before, that nothing beats immersion in natural beauty. And the circuit to the base of the Picos from Mogrovejo, topped off by a fine lunch in this ancient hill town, was perfection. Second place goes to a great picnic amidst the Iron Age ruins outside Guimarães in Portugal.

    4. Best Museum. Casa Lis in Salamanca. A wonderful and eclectic collection of art noveau and art deco artworks.

    5. Best hotel. The Palacio de San Estaban in Salamanca. Who would have thought an old convent could be so charming? Thanks to Robert for the tip!

    6. Best surprise. The city of A Coruña. The extraordinary natural position of the city, which is like a flower in the ocean, makes it a wonderful walk. And not a bad place to watch Barca beat the Brits. We are going back!

    All things considered, we are especially pleased to finally know and understand so much more of the Iberian Peninsula. Which is, of course, a large piece of Nivaria.
    Read more