Satellite
  • Base of the Pyrenees

    March 28, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 55 °F

    Building on recommendations from several different friends, we decided to make today’s destination Camprodón and then loop back home. Current restrictions prevented us from crossing over into France.

    Paul met a friend for an early morning hike (retuning with a bunch of wild asparagus!!) and we then set off.

    The single lane (one-car-width-passing-only-in-certain-areas) mountain road from Castellfollit to Beget and on to Camprodón might prove daunting in the high season or in a large SUV, but it was deserted and relaxing today.

    The style of houses changed dramatically as we wandered deeper into the mountains, with steep roofs and deep overhangs hinting at the amount of snow this area gets in winter months.

    Popular as a mountain ski resort, this destination near the French border was lovely! We explored the town, took photos of the old bridge, and were lucky to find a sunny spot on a quiet plaza for lunch.

    Catalonia feels very different than the rest of Spain. Politics and their desire to separate from the rest of Spain aside, the area we explored on this trip inland feels vastly different in a geographical sense. It boasts old volcanic cones, and is lush with fertile valleys and beautiful meadows (currently featuring fluorescent fields of canola which fondly remind us of spring in Scotland!) Did we mention the rice paddies just outside of Begur?
    http://bravamagazine.cat/the-paddies-of-pals-th…
    More on that another time!

    Until the next adventure!
    Read more