Satellite
  • Day 2

    Day Two Travel to TBAY

    July 2, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Another day, another 10ish hours of driving along the north shore of Lake Superior. Only this time the total distance covered was not as great as there were many more stops along the way. Today we made it from Wawa, Ontario to Thunder Bay. The highway we followed offers some if the most beautiful scenery in the world; from gorgeous misty lake vistas to expansive rolling hills and several majestic waterfalls. It seemed like there were scenic view stops just off the road every 10 to 20 km. There were also a few opportunities for us to dip our toes in the still frigid waters of the largest Great Lake. Speaking of frigid, a pretty cool aspect of the drive has been the drastic change in temperature between areas close to the lake and those more inland. One moment our vehicles console would read 26 °C and then a few minutes later it would drop to 12. This change is the primary reason for the fog we'd occasionally drive through. 

    One other highlight was found in a little town called White River, where a little black bear was rescued by an English soldier who game him the name Winnie after the town he had been stationed in. The bear was then donated to a zoo in England where author A.A. Milne often took his children and became the inspiration for the classic children's book character, Winnie the Pooh.

    Thunder Bay provided a couple of craft beer stops and some killer potato skins and tacos courtesy recommendations from food and brew connoisseurs I follow on Instagram.

    And I'd be remiss to not mention the Terry Fox Memorial park and scenic view. They've done a wonderful job honoring his memory.

    One more fair bit of driving tomorrow to reach my old stomping grounds. 
    Still very grateful to have my partner in crime at my side for this cross country adventure. 

    #Saskatoon2019
    Read more