Satellite
  • Day 14

    Museo del Vidrio y Cristal

    March 11, 2020 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 70 °F

    When my pre-trip research unearthed a boutique museum in Malaga, I added the Glass and Crystal Museum to our plans for today. We were to have gone there before lunch, but then we jiggled our plans to go to the Klimt exhibition (previous footprint). So we headed to the museum after lunch instead.

    The museum is housed in an Italianate style home from the 1800s ... designed around a small courtyard. Admission for the guided tour — the only way to see the private collection — is €5pp (senior rate). Lucky with our timing, we caught the last tour before the museum closed for siesta.

    The young man who took us around was quite knowledgeable about the pieces displayed all around the house — from the courtyard to the rooms on the second floor. He gave us copious amounts of information, much of which is now a jumble in my mind.

    In addition to the lovely glass pieces, there were a number of portraits and interesting period furnishings. The surprise that delighted me was the collection of stained glass windows interspersed throughout the museum.

    TripAdvisor reviews for the Glass and Crystal Museum are mixed. Not sure why, but perhaps those visitors were expecting more elaborate pieces. We really enjoyed our visit. The minute details that made many of the glass pieces so special were a delight. I’m glad we did not skip this museum when we jiggled our plans at the outset of our day.
    Read more