Satellite
  • Day 5

    Muckross House @ Killarney NP

    June 23, 2019 in Ireland ⋅ 🌧 57 °F

    Our tummies sated at the Garden Restaurant, it was time to explore the grounds. The rain had let up, giving us hope that we could do the path that circumnavigates Muckross Lake ... maybe hike up to the Torc Waterfall. Our hopes were soon dashed, however, when the rain began in earnest again.

    Switching plans, we headed over to the mansion to do the tour and get out of the rain. I’d read that the OPW Heritage Card did not cover admission at this property, but Mui asked anyway. The woman at the desk seemed surprised at first, but then took out the ledger, recorded our card info, had us sign our names, and voilà ... we saved €5.75pp. This one falls into the “it doesn’t hurt to ask” category.

    The Muckross Estate goes back to the 17th century. The mansion’s interior is decorated to reflect the 19th century look of the house ... the period when Queen Victoria stayed here for a night in 1861. Similarly, the gardens are landscaped to look as they would have during that auspicious occasion.

    Though the group size was a little larger than I would like for it to be, the docent who led us around was very knowledgeable. And the furnishings were quite lovely.

    No photos inside ... and alas, I forgot to pick up postcards (except for one that I found in town later). I guess we were too busy shopping for woolens woven by a cooperative on the estate ... a scarf and a tweed handbag for me; a matching tweed Kerry cap for Mui. Our Ireland souvenir shopping is now done. Or is it?
    Read more